Blogging is a huge time commitment and should not be taken on lightly. That being said, the benefits creating a successful blog are enormous. Blogging gives companies the ability to extend their reach, and connect with new and existing customers. There are also enormous SEO benefits to blogging. Why do you think www.atomicdesign.net has a blog? We’ve pulled together a list of tips to help small business owners get started:
- Consistency is key! If the goal is to build a following, it’s essential to post fresh and compelling content regularly. The easiest way to do this is to create a content schedule or posting plan and stick to it. If you’re new to blogging, posting once a week is a good place to start.
- To keep your blog interesting the content should be a mix of relevant industry information, anecdotes, and light entertaining material. It’ s ok to discuss your products and services every once in a while, but it’s important that visitors don’t feel like they’re being sold. Educational articles do very well for company blogs. For example: a bike shop might want to create a blog post about changing a flat tire on a bike. People will only share content they find helpful or interesting. Read our 4 Simple Steps to Improve Your Blog’s Content Strategy for more tips on creating compelling content.
- Blogging is social –use it as a tool to interact with your customers. Encourage engagement and feedback, and most importantly be sure to respond when people engage with you! You should use social media as a guide for content creation as well. Review your social media posts from the last month and turn the posts with the highest levels of interaction into blog topics.
- Like any other aspect of SEO, it’s important that you are optimizing your blog with relevant keywords. Incorporate these keywords into the post tittle, images, and sprinkle them throughout the content. Internet marketing services can benefit any blog.
- Every blog post should contain a call to action. Calls-to-action encourage the reader to take additional actions after reading your post. These very from asking viewers to follow you on social media to asking a reader to contact you about your products and services. CTAs can be as simple as sending a viewer to an additional blog post they might find valuable. Calls to actions should be used to obtain subscribers and to optimize your blog for lead generation.
- Get the most out of your blogging efforts by sharing new blog posts with your fans and followers across your social media platform. There are several tools you can use to automatically share blog posts. Add social media sharing tools at the bottom of every entry so users can spread the word as well.
- If you are out of content, but need a post. Blogging can be a platform to recap “highlights” from other social media posts. If you’ve had a few popular posts in the last week why not extend their mileage?
Remember, as with any content, your blog really isn’t about you it’s about your audience! You must produce content that is valuable to your viewers.